LIFE Care is designed to improve the quality of life for patients and their families facing the problems associated with serious or life-threatening illness. The goal is to prevent and relieve suffering by early identification and treatment of pain and other physical symptoms. Treatment also focuses on the emotional and spiritual issues that the patients and family may be experiencing. For more information or a consultation, please call 830.401.7474.
- LIFE Care is not just for the end of life. It can begin at the start of a serious illness and can be given alongside treatments designed to combat the disease.
- LIFE Care could extend life. People who receive LIFE Care may live longer and have a better quality than people with similar illnesses who do not receive LIFE Care.
- LIFE Care is focused on Advanced Care Planning. An Advance Care Planning (ACP) facilitator is a person who has been specifically trained to help facilitate this meaningful conversation between you and your family regarding your goals, values and beliefs that influence your choices for future medical treatment. Each facilitator has been trained and certified through Respecting Choices ®. During the Advance Care Planning session, you are guided through a structured interview. The facilitator will help you learn how to choose a healthcare agent(s) and will foster a meaningful conversation to arrive at your goals. Our main focus is ensuring your voice is heard throughout your treatment process.
- LIFE Care is available in many settings. It can be received at home, in the hospital, outpatient clinics, nursing centers, and many other settings.
- The LIFE Care team consists of specialists including physicians, social workers, chaplains and other professionals trained for your care, your own primary care physician and health care team continue in your care.
- LIFE Care supports families. As a part of a patient-centered approach, LIFE Care allows patients and their families and friends to make plans through Advanced Care Planning, which reflects their goals and preferences. LIFE Care allows seriously ill patients to avoid stressful trips to the hospital and spend more time at home with loved ones.